Are You Taking Email Security Seriously?
When you leave your home, no doubt you always make sure to lock your front door – why? Well for obvious reasons. Your home contains many personal and costly items, along with other information that we really don’t want other people getting their hands on. Home security is an obvious concept to all – but why don’t we take email security just as seriously?
If you think about it for a moment, our emails can reveal bank details, important personal and business information to cybercriminals, simply just at the click of a button.
Cyber-crime is on the increase
Unfortunately, cyber-crime is rising (read more here) and email-borne attacks are a prime target, especially for businesses. In fact, in 2016, two million cyber-crime attacks were noted, compared with 686,000 home burglary offences. These figures make cyber-crime one of the common offences today.
The above statistics clearly show the need for a rock-solid email security strategy. It’s vital to protect yourself from email-borne attacks by having an effective anti-virus solution, as well as being aware of the risks.
With that in mind, here are some helpful pointers to keep you protected:
- Never open an email attachment from an unknown sender. Attached files like these nearly always contain some kind of virus or malware.
- Only click on links sent from those you trust. If an email contains a link you don’t recognise try this: hover over the link with your mouse until it shows the URL. Then check the browser destination. If this doesn’t match up – the link should be avoided.
- Another tip is to check any unfamiliar emails for grammar, spelling and syntax. The majority of phishing scams or malware come from foreign countries, meaning that any obvious grammar errors provide you with a good indication to ignore the email.
- If you notice your computer is running slower than usual, or it keeps crashing and not responding, this could be an indication that your computer is infected. Get it looked at by an IT professional as soon as possible.
- Make sure you back up your data daily and always store multiple copies in various locations.
- Always choose strong email passwords and make sure that they’re updated and changed on a regular basis.
While these above pointers will definitely help strengthen your email security strategy, protection measures don’t stop there. Just as 82% of Britons have deadlocks or double locks on their doors – just in case the standard lock fails – this should also be the case when it comes to your email security.
Email Security Strategy
So the question is, when was the last time your business reviewed its email security? Chances are it was a while ago. Many IT departments rely on the security they already have in place – but single layer protection no longer cuts it.
Advance emails threats need a much more sophisticated solution – one that identifies threats that EOP (Exchange Online Protection) and ATP (Advanced Threat Protection) often miss. This is why AI-based email defence is needed – like Advance Email Security for Office 365. It works from a 24/7 global threat intelligence and learns algorithms to predict a crime before it even happens. You can rest assured that with over 5,000 customers and 14 years’ experience, it’s the only email security solution that’s fully integrated into Office 365. Its ability to complement Office security features such as EOP – rather than replacing – means that you’ll have an all-around successful email security strategy.
• Instant deployment – get running in just a few clicks, with no MX record changes. Just authorise it to access your email flow and configure your filtering policy
• Easy user experience – it’s fully transparent and allows users to carry on using the familiar Office 365 interface without isolation
• Insider threat protection – it scans your entire email flow, even your internal messages, in order to protect you from attacks that could come from within your organisation
• Security and scalability – with it being hosted on Microsoft Azure, you can also benefit from the cloud security capabilities and scalability
Choosing our Advanced Email Security makes sure that your business stays at the forefront of email protection. To find out more, contact us here at Advance Computer Systems today on 01904 653789 or click here.